Since we've discussed so much of the basics, you are now in the position to be able to survive a rapid fire VAT factoid attack---aka: VATOIDS.
So here goes, just a bunch of individual vatoids that I found interesting....and hope you will find interesting too.
- We are no longer allowed to call the disease "Adult Onset Diabetes". The reason is because this disease is epidemic in individuals of all ages---including young children. That's why we now call advanced Limit-Age Syndrome "Type II Diabetes".
- While abdominal girth is determined by the accumulation of both the VAT (Visceral Adipose Tissue) and SCAT (Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue), it is the VAT that appears to play the most significant negative health role.
- In general, the VAT accounts for up to 20% of total fat in men and 5-8% in women. Think about that for a moment. That explains why more men then women look like their belly is ready to pop (mega VAT) and less SCAT rolls to grab. This also explains why women tend to have more SCAT rolls because the VAT fills up faster (a woman's VAT will hold 1/3 of what a man's VAT will hold).
- A firm, hard waist results from deep VAT pushing the abdominal musculature outward. This type of waist truly looks and feels like that of a pregnancy.
- Via imaging techniques such as MRI, it is clear that the accumulation of VAT not only accompanies but occurs BEFORE the onset of Limit-Age Syndrome and its related disorders such as insulin resistance, hypertension, glucose intolerance, diabetes and heart disease.
- In numerous studies, the VAT was significantly associated with all criteria of Limit-Age Syndrome.
- In addition to the cardiac and diabetic risks associated with VAT, excess VAT is also associated with developing gastroesophageal reflux, gallstones, sleep apnea, Alzheimer's disease.
- Even lean people with low body weight can have a significant accumulation of VAT---along with the increased risk factors for heart disease and diabetes.
- Even a minimal fat loss of only 5-10% of body weight is associated with preferential dissolution of VAT over SCAT--along with simultaneous improvement in all blood biomarkers and cardio risks.
- Once a significant amount of VAT has been lost and thus, is below the CVATT, improvement in blood biomarkers does not bear a linear, direct relationship to the further loss of fat in the non-VAT areas.
- The VAT is an endocrine organ and spews off a long and growing list of newly discovered hormones. These secreted chemical messages spewed out by the VAT include estrogen, adiponectin, adipsin, angiotensin II, angiotensinogen, leptin, plasminogen activator, agouti protein, resistin, acylation stimulating protein, bone morphogenic protein, prostaglandins, IFG-1, various IGF binding proteins, tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukins, transforming growth factor and fibroblasts.
- The VAT drains directly into the portal system---the vein blood system that is responsible for directing blood from the abdominal gastrointestinal area directly to the liver. This is how and why an undiagnosed fatty liver (pre-liver fibrosis/cirrhosis) is one of the first complications of an enlarging VAT.
- The SCAT acts like a "buffer" or "sink" for circulating elevated glucose, fatty acids and triglycerides. The SCAT acting as a "sink" prevents the deposition of these into the VAT as well as into skeletal muscle, pancreas and liver. Thus, SCAT may be considered "protective" in the face of a large VAT.
- Once the CVATT tipping point has been reached, Limit-Age Syndrome occurs.
- There is an association between stress, worry and abdominal waist girth. Those with the highest amount of stress have the highest levels of cortisol and VAT.
- The above association between stress and waist girth is supported by evidence that a number of drugs, especially prednisone, may cause excess cortisol and thus, a larger waist girth and accompanying Limit Age Syndrome.
- Gynecomastia, aka "man boobs", result from from the increased circulating estrogens emitted from the VAT. Any plastic surgeon will tell you that "male breast reductions" are quickly become as popular as "female breast enlargements".
I'd like to end this blog on the subject of man boobs....and the hope of driving more of my male readers to the fourth stage of the grief cycle---depression.
Hear ye, hear ye all men! How much loss of your manhood and increase in boobies must you experience to be motivated to change your lifestyle?
Please realize that I, like many women, are less visual than men.
Note: I said less visual.
I did NOT say women are blind.
Thus, if the phobia of man boobs isn't enough to freak a man into a healthier lifestyle, then perhaps men need to realize that many women would not be interested in being in a relationship with a man who has bigger breasts than their own.....
I love you all. Stay tuned...